The left wing of the Csernovics Castle with its two towers was built in the first half of the 19th century with the utilization of a building remained from the 18th century. The right wing was built between 1862 and 1886, based on the plans of Miklós Ybl. In 1862 the castle became the property of the Károlyi family. In the garden original greenhouses and swimming pools can be found.
The free-standing, single-storey building with an “L”-shaped ground plan is defined by a portico with tympanum, located on the main facade of the building. This portico is supported by columns with plinth and capital and can be accessed trough wide stairs. The large, glazed main entrance and large windows located on both sides are semi-circular arched. The sides of the portico also contains large, glazed windows. The interior of the building contains a large hunting room.
The mansion was built in the center of the estate, its courtyard has been transformed into a nice park at the turn of the 20th century, but it was destroyed almost totally after its nationalization. The park’s successful restoration started again after the 1970s. At the right corner of the house, there is a famous linden tree, which was said to be planted in 1882 in the presence and in honour of the great Hungarian writer, Jókai Mór.
Damokos János and his wife Bartha Mária built the mansion. There used to be another mansion house earlier, which was made of stones and bricks. This old house was severely damaged by the frequent earthquakes; therefore a new wooden-house was built on the old foundations dating back to the 17-18th century. A few old carved stone monuments were kept and reused in the new mansion.
The main building from the hilltop, as well as the complex stretching along the left side of the yard, comprised of farm-buildings and servants’ quarters, are all the result of constructions during the second half of the 19th century. The well-positioned, pillared, neoclassicist building with tympana has not undergone any modifications. They later sold it to two saxon siblings, who have since established a guest-house in the main building, as well as a restaurant and a wine cellar in the out-houses.
Like the other buildings of the nobiliary from Erdővidék/Baraolt, this castle was also constructed in the late-renaissance style, and was later extended with a classicist wing during the 19th century. Several valuable late-renaissance stone carvings can be found embedded into the walls of the building.
The construction of the first castle in Cuci/Kutyfalva, was commissioned by count Pekry Lőrinc, a general of the Kuruc rebels, and his wife, baroness Kata Szidónia, who was the first Hungarian woman to become a poet in the baroque age. The stones of this castle were most probably used in the construction of the first Degenfeld Castle in the 19th century, though it was more of a mansion at the time.
Until the autumn of 2006, that is, until the moment of the property’s restitution, the building served as the Hodod Primary School, which was subsequently moved to a new building. During the summer of 2006, even before the building was given over, the owner had partly repaired the roofing and changed the water ducts as well, but could not finalize the repairs and so water is leaking into the building in several places, even today.
A 1931 photograph taken by Gönczi Ferenc shows that the small gate at the entrance of the estate once featured a baroque frontispiece. The manor was constructed from stone and brick. The main section of the building is divided by the protruding vaulted porch in the centre of the main facade, which features a trefoil gable.