The manor house was built in the second half of the 19th century. It served as the home of earl Gergely Béldi at the time, and it was known as his castle. After the nationalization the building was transformed into the headquarters of the Military Committee, and after 1968 it functions as the City Museum.
The facade of the two-story building is accentuated by a porch protruding from the middle section. The porch is divided by three barrel vaults on all three sides of its upper floor. Three chambers can be found on the ground floor of the eastern wing, all of them with traditional tulip-motifs with barrel vaults and stucco reliefs. The upper floor was once home to the family rooms: the Palace (Palota), the Count’s House (Gróf Háza), the Wife’s House (Asszony Háza) and the Girls’ House (Leányok Háza).
The plaster decoration from the portico has preserved the initials of the castle’s founder and the year of its construction: G.B.I. 1751. The building is currently being renovated by Mikes Imre (1942) and his family. Zsigmond, his son, and his wife are moving into the gatehouse. Now that they have returned from Germany, the family intends to the use to the revendicated building for touristic purposes as well.
The wall of the main facade is symmetrical. The building’s courses and window frames are decorated with richly margined plasterwork, typical of the Szekler nobility’s houses from the beginning of the 20th century. The building’s main curiosity is the landscape wall painting with flower motifs decorating the interior walls and ceiling of the portico, framed with bamboo.
Kováts Lajos was committed to the political and economic program of Széchenyi, to the cause of social progress. As the head of the Ministry of Transport, he elaborates the plan for the construction of the railway line Pest-Debrecen-Satu Mare. The comemorative plaque located on the manor also reminds us of him. Further along the manor, we can see the belfry, which was erected by Berenczei Kováts Eduard for the old and new Catholics of the village. Before taking a look at the Kováts Miklós manor, it is worth to devote time to take a closer look at the Reformed Church. The manor has not been returned yet to the family and currently it is unused.
The settlement famous for its salt mines, abandoned mines and salt lakes, started its bathing life in the middle of the 19th century. The first officially authorized medical bath in Sovata was the famous Gera Bath, which was followed by a series of other constructions. The Resort of Sovata developed at the turn of the century. Its Romantic, Apline-style, wooden villas once met all high standards. A part of these villas is also the building constructed in 1930, by the Mayor of Târgu Mureș, Bernády György.
The castle was built in the Classicist style, and an old driveway stretches behind the building. Its symmetrical and rather puritan main facade is defined by the tympanum supported by four simple pillars. Its only decorative element is the striated cornice. The building’s doors and windows have simple, undecorated lintels; the two planes of the roofing are reminiscent of the Baroque style.
The building became the property of the city at the end of the 19th century, and was the building of the County Hall for a while, before becoming a museum in 1934. The core of its collection is comprised of the previous collections of the Hunyad County Historical, Archaeological and Scientific Society. Important findings from Roman and Dacic archaeological sites were added to this collection during the 20th century. The building was restored between 1996 and 2006.
The castle was built around 1850, by the order of Count Bethlen Balázs. The land where the castle was built has a surface of 16.5 hectares and it includes 3 buildings and an arboretum. In the arboretum there are 150 species of native and exotic plants. The main building was built about 150 years ago and it is the only castle in Transylvania which presents elements of the Moorish and the Byzantine style at the same time.
The foundations of the castle’s first building were laid down in 1545. The construction of the building was commissioned by Bethlen Farkas (1505-1552). The laying of the foundation stones is commemorated by a stone plaque, which today is located on the ground floor. Nothing is known of its appearance from that time, although an inventory from 1711 describes a multi-storey renaissance palace with ornate stone window and door frames.