The castle was built between 1768-1770 and then in 1790 it suffered some minor changes. The baroque, two-storey building with a U-shaped ground plan has two side wings. The street facade has nine axes and its windows have shutters. The central part is covered with a baroque-style pitched roof.
The facade facing the courtyard has nine axes and contains in the middle an open balcony with a wrought iron railing. The balcony is supported by two pillars that form an arcade in both directions. Initially, the walls of the guest rooms, located on the upper-floor, had frescoes with landscapes from the Feleacu area, the work of art of the Austrian painter Anton Steinwald. Once the castle contained the famous collection of paintings of Baron Brukenthal, which today can be admired by visitors at the Brukenthal Museum in Sibiu. The castle owned a park of 20 hectares, arranged in baroque style. At the end of the XVIIIth century this park, located at the foot of the Southern Carpathians and on the bank of the Olt River, was called the "Eden of Transylvania" and rightly because the park also contained an orangery where almonds, dates, figs , nutmeg and pineapple were grown. This garden, considered historical monument, is the only preserved park in Transylvania, that has kept its original Baroque style.
In 1908, the Evangelical Church bought the castle from the heirs and transformed it into a sanatorium, a function that was preserved after nationalization. In 1999, the Church regained the castle and the building became the seat of the Brukenthal Foundation. Today, the castle is under renovation and actions are undertaken for trying to restore the splendor of the former park, as well as attracting investors to find a destination suitable for the castle: the creation of a museum, a concert hall and a conference center are taken into consideration.