Teleki-Mikó Castle, Ocna Mureș

  • national heritage number:
  • AB-II-a-B-00380
  • address:
  • Ocna Mureş city, Uioara de Sus village
  • dated to:
  • 13th –19th century
  • style:
  • historicism
  • ownership:
  • private property

The first fortified castle was built by Gálfi and a Baroque castle was constructed by István Mikes II in 1742, using the former building. This castle was destroyed by the rebel forces of  Simion Prodan in October 1848, and was bought from Benedek Mikes IV by Count Imre Mikó (1805–1876), cousin of  Benedek. The new owner rebuilt the castle in Neo-Gothic style between 1856–1862 based on plans by Anton Kagerbauer, architect from Cluj.

The castle from Ocna Mureș was once considered one of the most beautiful-lying noble residencies from Transylvania, but today stays above the bleak Mureş-valley. The estate from Ocna Mureș was received by János Gálfi in 1581 (died in 1593) from István Báthory. Gálfi was later executed by another Báthory, Zsigmond, so the estate became a wedding gift for the prince’s wife, Mária Krisztierna Habsburg. In 1660 Gábor Bethlen gave it to Mózes Székely the younger, and during the reign of György Rákóczi II belonged in 1649 to Mihály Mikes III.

The first fortified castle was built by Gálfi and a Baroque castle was constructed by István Mikes II in 1742, using the former building. This castle was destroyed by the rebel forces of  Simion Prodan in October 1848, and was bought from Benedek Mikes IV by Count Imre Mikó (1805–1876), cousin of  Benedek. The new owner rebuilt the castle in Neo-Gothic style between 1856–1862 based on plans by Anton Kagerbauer, architect from Cluj.

The square-shaped building, constructed in the style of historicism still has the characteristics of the former Baroque building in its form and high roof. The main façade facing the River Mureş is dominated by a centre projection with stepped gable and crenellated pillars. Above the tripartite main portal there is a balcony on consoles. The two corners of the façade feature two balconies with pointed hoods. The sides have the same characteristics with Neo-Gothic stone-work, cast-iron ornaments and square-ended windows with depressed arched hood mould. The ceiling of the salon was covered by a painting imitating coffered ceiling.

Due to the fact that Count Imre Mikó was the last male line descendant of the Mikó family from Hídvég, the estate from Ocna Mureş was inherited by his grandson, Count Ádám Teleki (1867–1918). The successors of Ádám Teleki reclaimed the castle and it has been given back to the family in 2007.

 

 

How do you get here?

How do you get here?



Links