The castle was built between 1831 and 1834 according to the plans of an engineer by the name of Stuller. The building became the first classicist castle of Transylvania, as well as the first castle to be fitted with a bathroom. The five-acre castle gardens gave home to Transylvania’s richest collection and lapidarium from the period of the Roman Empire.
In 1973, for local purposes, the building was converted into a cultural center, therefore the main rooms were opened together. In addition to the exterior repairments, according to the new function, in order to create a stage and an auditorium, internal changes were made and the building's architectural value has suffered significant damage.